Friday, September 28, 2007

COMIC VALUES MONTHLY – January 1992



I bought this magazine at a gas station in late 1991 (I wanted a comic book, but I don’t think they had any). This is the only issue of Comics Values Monthly I ever saw, and I bought it when the idea of comic books being “valuable” was still new to me. I knew that the first issue of Amazing Spider-Man was worth money – but newer comics? Comics I actually owned? People were paying big money for those Punisher War Journal comics I bought just two years ago?


The price guide in this issue has X-Force #1 going from $2.50 to $6.50 depending on which trading card is inside the bag. Second prints of later New Mutants issues are going for $5.00 (a reprint going for five times the cover price, these were crazy times). The final New Mutants issue, which is less than a year old at this point, is listed at $10. The magazine is mostly a price guide, but it also has regional reports from various retailers. According to one report, the first appearance of Cable, New Mutants #87, is going for $50-$60. The same retailer says that X-Force #1 is going for $6-$10 at his store.


All of the regional reports list the X-books in their top ten sellers, although a few are complaining about unsold copies of X-Men #1. One retailer suggests stocking up on Armageddon 2001 and Impact Comics for long term gain in five to ten years (how many copies of Deathmate - Black do you think this guy has in his garage now?). A different retailer has this crazy observation: “Quality has taken a back seat to gimmicks. A hot book seems to base its appeal on how many covers, holograms, second prints, die cuts or glow-in-the-dark colors it has.” I wonder how this guy felt four years later when this stuff was still going on?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...