Monday, July 23, 2012

No AOL Subscription Required



If I’m going to be looking back on Marvel paperback novels published in the ‘90s, I would be remiss if I ignored the early online adventures of Spider-Man, the X-Men, Captain America, and more. Yes, I’m talking about Marvel’s “Cybercomics.” According to Wikipedia, the comics ran from 1996 to 2000, and only make their presence felt in Marvel’s official continuity through a footnote in one issue of Gambit. Finding archives of these comics is very difficult, which is surprising since creators like Mark Bagley and Scott Lobdell worked on several installments, and it couldn’t have been that difficult to save the images to the readers’ hard drive. Luckily, writer D. G. Chichester has maintained an archive of the many cybercomics he scripted and posted them online. I’ve never read this material before, and I’ve rarely if ever seen it discussed online, so I thought it might be an interesting continuity backwater to explore for a few days.

And if anyone knows where to find more of the Marvel Cybercomics (particularly the Gambit one), please let me know.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...