Wednesday, April 8, 2009

X-FORCE #70 – October 1997

Transitions
Credits: John Francis Moore (writer), Adam Pollina (penciler), Mark Morales (inker), Richard Starkings & Comicraft (lettering), Marie Javins (colors)

Summary: X-Force rescues their teammates from Operation: Zero Tolerance and flies away. Meanwhile, in the aftermath of OZT’s attack, Cable searches for Caliban in the tunnels beneath the X-Men’s mansion. Ozymandias emerges and temporarily shuts off Cable’s mind before he takes Caliban away. He leaves Cable with the mental suggestion that Caliban is in safe hands. In another dimension, the Vanisher realizes that Warpath was actually sent to help him. He tells Warpath to tell a story to the strange creatures in order to placate them. In Oklahoma, Domino is picked up by X-Force. Soon, Cable greets them in his own aircraft. They land in North Carolina, where Cable reveals his plan to have the team go underground. They refuse to assume false identities, which forces Cable to realize that the team no longer needs him. He leaves, which leads Meltdown to question what will happen next.

Continuity Note: Judging by what he does to Cable, I’d have to say that Ozymandias has pretty impressive telepathic powers.

Review: This turned out to be my final issue of X-Force. For some reason, this title stuck around my local newsstands for a few months longer than the other X-spinoffs, but by Fall 1997 it was gone. It’s a shame, since the book is better than it’s been since the late Nicieza run, and I would’ve liked to continue with it. This brings the title’s OZT crossover stint to an end, as Moore uses the event to justify the new status quo. It is a little rushed, but Moore thankfully keeps the characters true to themselves and doesn’t insert any false drama. The story has quite a few character moments, such as Meltdown’s temptation to kill Ekatarina Gryaznova while she’s unconscious, Domino’s flirtation with the truck driver who saved her, and the Vanisher’s revelation that he loved the sitcom Taxi. It’s a solid script, and Pollina’s art is up to his usual standards. I’m tempted now to track down the rest of this run on eBay.

9 comments:

wwk5d said...

My advice? Track this run down, you won't be disappointed. It does falter a bit once Pollina leaves and the road trip ends, and non-X-elements are shoe-horned in (the Deviants? Huh?) but still maintains a good level of quality, and overall, the Moore era is probably one of the better runs on this title, and a good, underappreciated read. The actual roadtrip issues themselves are some of my favorite comics ever. For all the crap the X-titles receive, these issues took a real risk - no costumes, no headquarters...just a bunch of late teen/early 20 characters on a roadtrip.

And yeah, the Ozymandius thing here did leave me scratching my head, as he had never displayed such powers before, and as you said, he'd have to be a real powerful telepath to knock out and reprogram Cable. But hey, Moore had to write out certain characters....

rob said...

I agree, track it down. The road trip issues are gold. I recently reread #75 and was stunned by how crazy and fun it was. Things get different when Pollina leaves, but Cheung does a great job on art and Moore still has a strong grasp on the characters, even if some of the story elements are strange. The new setup in San Fransisco works, and I've always kind of liked new character Jesse Bedlam (who becomes a focal point). I also like that Moore tried to find a role and personality for Domino even with Cable not around. There's a great return of Grazynova. Just be prepared for Danielle Moonstar to basically become the main character.

Aqualad said...

This is the good shit. I recently dumped all of my 90's X-stuff and this is one of the few issues I held onto. Marvel should trade this run.

Brett said...

I will also say that you should track the next 12 issues of this title down. Great stuff, the best of the series.

Fnord Serious said...

I've heard that Cable's solo title gets pretty good around this time, with runs by James Robinson, Joe Casey and Ladronn.

Anonymous said...

Yes sir!
Cable does indeed get REALLY awesome around this time.
That Ladronn(?) run was one of my favorites of all the 90s.

From about the end of OZT till just before "The Twelve" Cable is for sure one of the best X-Titles of the time. Even better then this X-Force run.

wwk5d said...

I dunno, I tried to get back into Cable during that era, but never did. I never quite saw what all the fuss was about, to be honest, besides the really interesting art by Ladronn...

PeterCSM said...

I'm convinced! I gonna go track down the road trip issues of this run. And in response (well, more like agreement) to wwk5d, I've never been a Cable fan but I do think Ladronn's work is interesting.

Drew said...

I love this issue -- was never a fan of Cable and how he turned the New Mutants into his personal strike force, so this issue, which essentially marks them becoming the New Mutants again in all but name, was most welcome. And of COURSE it was Dani who led the breakaway from Cable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...