Friday, March 22, 2019

You Say You Want an X-Men Revolution?


Okay, I'm relenting. I'm submitting to the public's demand of...2014 or so and finally delving into the rather infamous return of Chris Claremont to the X-Men in the year 2000.

Or am I?

The truth is, I've avoided looking back on these titles for a reason. I felt the comics internet of the time had already thoroughly dissected the aborted run...and wasn't eager to look into comics firmly not associated with the 1990s anyway.

As time has passed, I've noticed much of the commentary of that era has disappeared. And we're now approaching the twentieth anniversary of these comics. Also, I can't deny I've felt an increased desire to revisit this failed launch. To examine why it didn't connect, the context of the times, if there was anything of merit the cool kids overlooked...

There is a catch, though. I am an independent novelist. With a new book out. As such, I am in need of reviews for my novel, Black Hat Blues.

Amazon forbids bribing readers for reviews. Meaning, I can't promise to email you some exclusive story or blog post in exchange for leaving an Amazon review.

What I can do is predict a feeling that I'd be willing to post a review of an X-Men Revolution comic, for free for all to read, for every Amazon review of Black Hat Blues I receive, as of this date. These will be posted in appreciation -- to the universe -- sometime in May.

At the time of this writing, I'm at ten reviews. Amazon's algorithm apparently ignores books that have under 15 reviews. (Some people say you need as many as 50 reviews for Amazon to notice you.) To review the entirety of Claremont's return, that would take around thirty blog posts. So, that would mean 40 reviews on Amazon, given that I'm already at ten. But, hey, I'll throw in five freebies.

Understand you're not being obligated to purchase anything. My book is available for free to Kindle Unlimited members. Which itself offers a free trial membership. And you're not obligated to pretend you love the book if you don't.

I do think the novel is of interest to comics fans (you can read more about it here.) But everyone has different tastes and I respect that. All I can ask is for an open mind.

So...to sum up. Expect at least five X-Men Revolution reviews in May. Whether or not there are any more after that...this depends on forces beyond my control. But for everyone who's supported me in the past, you do have my appreciation.

5 comments:

Rob Bartlett said...

Ah yes, the comics that supposedly lost Bob Harras his job. It's interesting, Quesada took over as editor-in-chief chief not too long before the September 11th attacks. 9/11 led to a huge overall shift and many say the 2000's didn't really "start" until then. So even though this blog focuses on 90's comics, the first year of the millennium has an identity distinct from the rest of it, and it serves as an interesting bookend for the one of the most important men in shaping how comics in the 90's worked out. Harras was the one to foster and encourage "Image era", tried to put the genie back in the bottle with the neoclassical era, but was out of his element when Marvel officially went Hollywood.

FG_Superman said...

20 years since "revolution" you say?

Where has the time gone? I feel so old.

wwk5d said...

Well, this should be interesting.

Filrouge said...

Do you have your book available on any other platform than Amazon ? I'd even be willing to pay you directly as I refuse to use kindle format.

G. Kendall said...

Filrouge -- email me (link is in profile) and we'll work something out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...