Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Micro-Reviews: HELLBLAZER


I've been asked to archive my micro-reviews on this site, so I thought I'd give it a try for a few posts.
 
I don’t think I’ve ever read a HELLBLAZER comic before. Thought this might prove interesting: 






…or not. The first issue has a strong opening, but John’s subsequent investigation becomes fairly dull as the story progresses.

And the mystery drags on to the second issue, unfortunately.

I’ll stick with it, though. I admire DC for releasing these thick, low-price trades. The value for the dollar really is amazing.

Also, can you believe that’s a Jim Lee cover? Didn’t recognize him at all.


HELLBLAZER #2, the most hardcore, cutting edge DC title of 1988. Because Alan Moore doesn’t work here anymore.

The story does pick up as it reaches its conclusion. I can see why the book developed a cult following early on -- a book about hard choices and unhappy endings is rare in any era, but was almost unheard of in ‘88.

The idea of John screwing over his friends in pursuit of greater goals became the hook of the TV show -- which is fine in theory, but I don’t think the show ever amounted to much.

I thought the pilot was great, but the show quickly fell into formula. I was bored by most episodes.

HELLBLAZER #3, set on Britain’s election day, 1987.

Goodness, can you guess the political stand that’s going to be taken? A rousing defense of free markets, I’m sure.

I wonder if every issue of Delano’s run touches on 80s UK drug culture. On-panel coke snorting this issue.

Guacamole, compact discs, and running shoes are cited as extravagant excesses of the rich.

How would 80s Delano respond if he knew most of the world’s poorest citizens today own cellphones?

That global communication would be instantaneous, effortless, and nearly free?

That the poor in UK & US have access to tech undreamed of by the rich just 20 years ago?

It’s an entire issue of Delano literally demonizing people he disagrees with. No different than any talk radio hack.

3 comments:

James said...

"That global communication would be instantaneous, effortless, and nearly free?"

To be fair, as someone living in South Africa, most of the world has nothing like this. Even if we all own smartphones, that's thanks tothe proliferation of old technologies so quickly consumed and discarded by the rich. Access to cheap and reliable Internet is a major roadblock in Africa, Asia and the Americas.

James said...

But glad to have you back. Thanks for the review!

Scott Church said...

I've never read any of this series either but just bought the whole run off of eBay so I'm glad to see you are giving some issues a look and can't wait to get into it to compare our thougths.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...